Common Queries

Lost Documents - VRC, Tax Disc

Where a Vehicle Registration Certificate or motor tax disc has been lost (e.g in the post) or destroyed or otherwise damaged or stolen, the law requires the vehicle owner to make an application to their local motor tax office for issue of the replacement.

In this instance, you must complete Form RF134, get it witnessed and stamped by a member of An Garda Siochanna, and then forward it to your local motor tax office.

Registration certificates are not issued by the local motor tax office. The payment is receipted, and the certificate follows from The Department of Transport usually within 10 days.

Driving Licence

All Queries relating to driving licences (endorsements/penalty points etc), including applications for a licence or learner permit, must be made to the National Driving Licence Service (NDLS). Their contact number is phone 076-1087880

Applications for a licence/learner permit must be made in person at any of the NDLS centres nationwide. Details of NDLS centres are available at The NDLS office for all residents of Leitrim is Unit 7, Bridge Lane, Carrick-on Shannon Co. Leitrim.

NDLS centres are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturdays.

Any queries in relation to Penalty Points may be made to Driver Licensing Section Road Safety Authority , Ballina Co Mayo (telephone lo-call 1890416141 or 096728288) please quote your reference number.

Roadworthiness Testing Requirements

All vehicles designed for commercial use must complete an annual roadworthiness test in a Commercial Vehicle Test Centre, regardless of how the vehicle is taxed. The motor tax category of a vehicle has no bearing on how the vehicle must be tested. Under vehicle testing regulations, a goods vehicle (EU categories N for motor vehicles and O for trailers) is a vehicle constructed or adapted primarily for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description whether or not it is used for such a purpose. This includes vehicles such as car van and 4x4 vehicles converted for good use.

Ambulances buses and minibuses(passenger vehicles with more than eight seats exclusive of the driver's seat), good trailers(over 3,500kgs design gross vehicle weight) and all Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV) and Light Goods Vehicles (LGV) must pass a roadworthiness test one year after the date of first registration and thereafter every year. The onus is on the owner of the vehicle to have it tested, no notification that the vehicle is due a test is issued.

For more information on the above, you may contact the Commercial Vehicle Testing Section of the Road Safety Authority at (091) 872600,

Vehicles which require a commercial test, (excluding those taxed at the private rate of tax), cannot be taxed until the test has been completed.

The NCT conducts car (EU Category M1) roadworthiness testing- in this context a car is defined as 'a mechanically propelled vehicle having at least 4 wheels, which is constructed primarily for the carriage of passengers and which has a maximum of 8 seats excluding the driver's seat'. A car must be first tested 4 years after its first registration and every 2 years after that until it is 10 years old. Cars over 10 years old must be tested every year

Motor Tax Refund

There must be Three Full calendar months of Unexpired tax remaining on the disc for a refund application to be considered.

All application for a refund of motor tax, irrespective of whether you taxed online or at your local Motor Tax Office, must be made to your local motor tax office.

You will need to complete Form RF120 get it witnessed and stamped by a member of An Garda Siochana, and then forward it to your local motor tax office. Form RF120 is available at your local motor tax office or can be downloaded under the motor tax forms link at

Refunds are normally issued where a vehicle is scrapped (by an Authorised Treatment Facility), stolen or exported. They are not issued where a vehicle has been sold.

Vehicle Destructions

Insurance Write Offs

Insurers provide details of written-off vehicles to the Department of Transport and the national vehicle record is updated with these particulars.

Where written off vehicles are noted on the national vehicle record, its results in the affected changes of vehicle ownership or renewal of motor tax can be recorded. 'Write offs' generally refer to vehicles that have been extensively damaged and designated by insurers as being totally or substantially destroyed.

End of Life Vehicles (ELVs)

In the event of the destruction of passenger cars and light commercials vehicles (less than 3,500kg gross vehicle weight), the Vehicle Registration Certificate/Licensing Certificate must be surrendered to an Authorised Treatment Facility (AFT) when the vehicle is being deposited for destruction.

An AFT is a facility where the collection and storage and treatment of ELV's may take place.

A Certificate Of Destruction (COD) is issued to the registered owner of the vehicle. The COD is a declaration that the vehicle to which it relates will be destroyed in accordance with the requirements of the regulations and that the specified information on that certificate will be noted on the NVDF.

When a COD has issued for a vehicle, the vehicle cannot be subsequently taxed or used in a public place and the relevant record on the NVDF is 'locked down' and no further activity can be recorded.

  • EU Sturctural Fund
  • European Union