Goods Vehicle

Taxation of Goods Vehicles

Article 3 of the Road Vehicles (Registration & Licensing) (Amendment) Regulation 1992 provides that a licensing authority must satisfied that a vehicle is correctly taxed. In this regard, in order to tax a vehicle at the goods rate all applicants must confirm that they are registered for tax purposes as a business with the Revenue Commissioners by providing their Revenue Registration Identity number.

This declaration should be completed in the presence of a Garda and signed and stamped by them RF111A - Goods Only Declaration

In addition to this you will also have to submit one of the following supporting documentation:

  • Evidence of Registration of VAT
  • Tax Clearance Certificate
  • Specific Documentary Evidence of Insurance of Commercial Vehicle Insurance.
  • Copy of your Notice of Tax Registration form.

The Licensing Authority may request further information if considered necessary.

A RF111A - Goods Only Declaration is required

  • at first taxing of a new light goods vehicle
  • after change of ownership of a light goods vehicle
  • at any renewal of motor tax at the discretion of the Motor Tax Office

Applicants should note that if the vehicle is used in any private capacity it must be taxed at the private rate

For first taxation of a new or imported goods vehicle you need:

  • Completed Application Form RF100 (From Garage)
  • Current Insurance Certificate
  • Weight docket from Authorised Weighbridge , if required
  • Goods declaration form if classed as light goods vehicle RF111A
  • Appropriate Fee

To renew motor taxation on a goods vehicle for first time after purchase you need :

  • Completed application form, i.e. Reminder RF100B or Tax Renewal Form RF100A
  • Current Insurance Certificate
  • RF111A for vehicles under 3,500kgs
  • Registration Book/Vehicle Licensing Certificate
  • Appropriate Fee Goods Vehicles Rates
  • All Goods Vehicles are liable for testing when 1 year old and every year thereafter.

To renew motor taxation on a goods vehicles you need:

  • Completed application form, ie Reminder RF100B or Tax Renewal Form RF100A
  • Appropriate Fee
  • All Goods Vehicles are liable for testing when 1 year old and every year thereafter.

Vehicle Testing

There is no longer a requirement for an owner to present their current Pass Statement or Certificate of Roadworthiness to the Motor Tax Office as vehicle testing details are updated by the Road Safety Authority. Under vehicle testing regulations, a good vehicle (EU categories N for motor vehicles or O for trailers) is a vehicle constructed or adapted primarily for the carrying of goods or burden of any description, whether or not it is used for such a purpose, therefore, all goods vehicles must complete an annual roadworthiness test in a Commerical Vehicle Test Centre, regardless how the vehicle is taxed. This includes vehicles such as car van and 4x4 vehicles converted for goods use. For more information on commerical veicle testing, please contact the Commerical Vehicle Testing Sction of the Road Safety Authority at 091 872600, or at

Weight Docket:

As motor tax rates for goods vehicles are based on unladen weight, this must be confirmed on a Weight Docket which must issue from an Authorised Weighbridge appointed for this purpose by a local authority. A Weight Docket is required upon the first taxing of a vehicle, after any alteration to the vehicle, or may be requested at any time at the discretion on the Motor Tax Office.



Pat The Baker,Granard, Co. Longford                                                  Tel : 042-87344

Lynch , Home & Farm Supplies Ltd,Rathcronan,Granard                 Tel : 043-86336

Lakeland Dairies Store, Strokestown Road,Longford                        Tel : 043-41614


Corranure Landfill ,Cavan                                                                     Tel : 049-4327658

P&S Planthire Ltd, Stradone, Co. Cavan                                              Tel : 049-4330115

A.W. Ennis Limited, Maghera,Virginia, Co.Cavan                              Tel : 049-8547588

Ballyjamesduff Co-Op (Mart)                                                                Tel : 049-8544483


Clonleigh Co-Op Society, Castlefin                                                       Tel : 074-9146151

Coyles Fuels,Aghilly ,Buncrana                                                              Tel : 074-9321896

Cranford Stone,Devlinmore, Carrigart                                                 Tel : 074-9155633

Daleside(Winston Patterson), Ballindrait                                            Tel : 074-9171300

Donegal Co-Op Creameries, N/Cunningham                                      Tel : 074-9156107

Kevin Harrold, Glenfin Rd, Ballybofey                                                  Tel : 074-9130474

Inishleigh Co-Op,N/Cunningham                                                          Tel : 074-9156271

Inishowen Co-Op, Carndonagh                                                             Tel : 074-9374555

Letterkenny Skip Hire, Ballyraine, Letterkenny                                  Tel : 074-9164044

Roadstone , Laghey                                                                                 Tel : 074-9121300

Donegal County Council, Machinery Yard, Lifford                             Tel : 074-9153900


Cold Chon,Deepwater Quay, Sligo                                                       Tel : 071-916195


Civic Amenity Site, Killerney ,Lanesboro Rd, Roscommon

(Monday, and Friday from 8.00am to 4.00 pm )

Stewarts, Boyle, Co.Roscommon                                                          Tel : 071-9670100

  • EU Sturctural Fund
  • European Union