Building Control Regulations

From Monday 13th July 2020 onwards, all applications for Fire Safety Certificates, Disability Access Certificates, Regularisation fire safety certificates, Revised fire safety certificates, 7 day notice’s and Dispensation/relaxation’s can only be submitted online on the Building Control Management System (BCMS) ( )

It is strongly recommended that you fully complete your application online by uploading the relevant documentation using your own account.

In the event that you are unable to fully complete an application online, you can submit the application documentation to your Building Control Office during the transition period. 

However the below steps must be completed before presenting to the Building Control Office:

  • Create a user account with BCMS ( )
  • Select what application type you are submitting (DAC/Fire Cert application etc)
  • Fill out application details online
  • Submit payment details
  • Accept roles  (owner/applicant /builder /designer/assigned certifier etc)

The Building Control Authority are unable to complete the application process unless the above steps have been taken and completed successfully.  Once you have completed the steps outlined above, you can contact Leitrim Fire Service to make an appointment to lodge your application. Fire & Building Control Authority staff will facilitate the scanning/upload of any documentation received by the Building Control Office as part of the submitted application and there will be an additional fee for this service of €125. 

Update applies to all Applications to Leitrim County Council (the Building Control Authority) for the following:

Commencement Notices & 7 Days Notice

A commencement notice is required to give notice to Building Control Authorities of development works before they begin

Disabled Access Certification

A Disability Access Certificate (DAC) shows that you have made adequate provision for people with disabilities by complying with Part M of the Building Regulations 1997 to 2015.

You must apply for a Disability Access Certificate for all new buildings (including apartments, but not houses).  You can check the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government’s FAQs (.doc) for more information.

Fire Safety Certification

This is a certificate that certifies that a building or works comply with Part B of the Building Regulations.  A Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) is required for all new buildings (including apartments and flats) except for private houses and agricultural buildings. It must be obtained before works commence.

Regularisation Certificate

A Regularisation Certificate is required where a building has been commenced or completed without a Fire Safety Certificate and where such a certificate is required.

Revised Fire Safety Certificate

A Revised Fire Safety Certificate is required for works where an application for a Fire Safety Certificate is made (i)before grant of planning permission, (ii) if required by the subsequent permission, or (iii) where significant revision is made to the design or works of a building for which a Fire Safety Certificate has already been granted but works have not commenced.

Relaxation / Dispensation of Building Regulations

Section 4 (1) of the Building Control Act, 1990 permits a Building Control Authority to grant a Relaxation / Dispensation of, any requirement of building regulations in respect of buildings or works which are situated within the functional area of the building control authority i.e. protected structures and high intensity use.

  • EU Sturctural Fund
  • European Union
  • Leitrim Sports